FurKids.net
Go Back   FurKids.net > Dogs > Poodles

Old 03-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
yoyo2004

Default How do you clean poodle's ear?

Dear feinds, my 4 month old puppy poodle has some ear problems recently. His ear is really dirty and a lof of hair inside. Sometimes he felt very uncomfortable.
Can I just pull out the hair inside the year?
What do you to deal with the dirty ears? How do you clean and do you use any medicines?
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
yoyo2004

Default Re: How do you clean poodle's ear?

I suspect there are mites in his ear because he just kept shaking his head and pawed his ear last night.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Aly

Send a message via MSN to Aly

yoyo, I think you might want to take him to a vet, especially if you think he has mites or an ear infection.

Good luck. Keep us posted!
And the heart memories of Dieter and Miles, black and blue -- my sweet boys
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
lp

Default Take him to the vet- safest

The puppy probably has an ear infection. The vet will need to see the dog's ears in order to script the correct med. If your dog is shaking his head, rubbing his ears on the rug, scratching at his ears, wimpering- and you can see debris in the ear canal; time for a visit to the vet. The doc will determine what is the cause of the infection: mites, fungus, allergy, etc. The doc will give the dog a course of meds to clear up the initial infection and then you will need to clean the ears- regularly as part of the Poodle's grooming routine to prevent the ear problems from becoming chronic.

Has the vet seen your puppy yet since you acquired the dog? Is the dog on flea preventative? Heartworm preventative? Do you have the dog professionally groomed? The hair inside the pina (ear flap) needs to be removed and is by grooming - one may pluck it out by hand and/or use 'stats. Pro groomer or vet will show you how to do this safely.

Did you purchase yor puppy from a breeder? If so, the breeder would be the best source of helpful information about puppy care and training. If you did not purchase your dog from the kind of breeder who is interested in the pup for its lifetime, the follks here will can assist you re puppy care.

First- you'll need to have your pup seen by the doc to correctly find out what is cause for the ear infection, instead of us just guessing. Then, follow to the letter - re time and frequency of meds- the course of scripted treatment, and after that is completed- use ear cleaning as preventative; as part of the pup;s regular grooming routine. Have you had your pup neutered yet? Is the puppy retaining its deciduous teeth? (baby teeth) Fairly common in many toys.

Don't delay in having the vet check your dog's sore and dirty ears. Secondary infection may develop and worse if left untreated. Also, it's quite painful and the infection can lead to more serious problems - should the ear infection become a chronic condition.

Here is an article about canine ears, cleaners, infections, etc. Read up for your research, but your own dog's vet must see the puppy dog asap. Doc possibly shall need to run some tests and certainly doc will script the precise meds needed- for your poodle.

Dog Info A to Z:
Ear Problems In Dogs
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dogear.html
Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
yoyo2004

Hi,guys, thank you very much.
I took my puppy to the vet two weeks ago for the second time vacination. The vet did check my puppy's year. He just said the ear was dirty and pulled out some hair from inside. He taught me briefly how to clean. He said I can use cotton stick with pure water to clean.
I know it is quite hard to clean poodle's ear because there are always hairs. My puppy sometimes but not often paws his year. But he felt very uncomfortable last midnight. So my husband and I tried to pull out his hair from the ear and used pure water to clean. It's really dirty. It seems the situation getting better today. But he occasionally paws his ear.
Yes, you are right. I'd better take him to the vet to double check.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
bigpoodlepersonNLI

I would take him to the vet. It sounds like an infection. Also, no offense to your vet, but he sounds like he doesnt know didly about cleaning ears (let alone poodles). Regular water wont desolve the wax that is building up in there. Also water in the ear can cause infections. Plus, plucking hair in an already infected ear can be very painful. You need to get a real ear cleaner. The vets sell them, or there are many you can purchase. I like espree ear cleaner the best, and i have tried many. http://www.espree.com/petcare/treatment/earcare.html

You never want to put a cotton tipped applicator (or q-tip) in the ear unless you know exactly what you are doing. You could poke his eardrum out.
The best method is to pour some of the cleaner into the ear, and massage the base of the ears (this breaks up the wax, and helps to get the ear cleaner in all the crevices). Then take a cotton ball (you might want to tear the cotton ball in half if it is too big) and "scoop" out all of the wax. Then once the wax is out gently wipe out all the extra cleaner (i sometimes put a cotton ball in the ear, but not shoved down in it, and rub the ears again. All the extra cleaner will be soaked up in the cottonball).
For plucking the ears i use my fingers as its much safer for me (i have caught part of his ear in the hemostates before). You want to buy some ear powder (some girls have a link to some wonderful powder) and sprinkle some in the ear. Then just grab some hair and pull. The powder will make it MUCH easier to grab the hair and pull it out. The powder also helps dry out the ear so that there is no moisture in there to "breed" the bacteria.
Read LP's links, they are good. I really hope that you will take him to the vet to get this under control. Give your poor boy hugs and kisses from us.
Megan and Riley
Old 03-24-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
yoyo2004

Hi,lp
I have read the links you gave me carefully.
The doctor mention we can clean dogs' ears with vinegar mixed half and half with water.
Do you think it is a effective method or I'd better buy some commercial cleaner? Can I buy commercial cleaner from supermarket rather than vet?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:14 AM   #8
sophia

Excellent advice ,so won't repeat re the cleanout.
I do recommend an ear powder called thornit which is used to assist in pulling the ear hair,to prevent and also cure ear mites, and keep the ear nice and dry...here's a link......
http://www.championpets.co.uk/ears.htm

Stanley (Calie,s Chrome Consulaire Can Chase) Swedish silver boy
Born 25 nov,2012.

and never forgotten, Highla Sophia(Bella Mia) brown standard from uk.2000-2013.
sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #9
JMM
Super Moderator

I prefer a veterinary-made ear cleaner when dealing with infections. My favorites are the good old blue Chlorhexiderm or Corium. For chronic yeasty ears, Dermapet is a good cleaner.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
sophia

re Chlorexyderm....we've just begun using this last week as an alternative to "Epiotic ear cleaner."..it is excellent!It is less aggravating to the ear than many ear cleaners.I had found CRs ears very sensitive to many brands of cleaners and would redden and inflame after cleaning.The chlorexyderm is good for dogs with sensitive skins.
We use the thornit more as a preventative,to assist when plucking the hair and to keep the ears dry.
We also have used the chlorexyderm shampoo(once every forth shampooing) and it has stopped any itching(again on my apricot) in its tracks.I don't use it every time as I find the coat less shiny after it's use.

Stanley (Calie,s Chrome Consulaire Can Chase) Swedish silver boy
Born 25 nov,2012.

and never forgotten, Highla Sophia(Bella Mia) brown standard from uk.2000-2013.
sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #11
lp

Default first things first

You'll not wish to put any water down the poodle's ear canal. Because of the long shape, the warmth and the hair inside the ears, bacteria thrive on moisture in the canal. Dry the ears carefully after a bath. Use cotton balls.

You may remove the debris, but I'd not use any cleaner unscripted - until the vet has seen the dog's ears. He'll need to see some of the debris. Normal ear matter is either clear, or white, or a bit yellow. If the debris is dark brown or red, or black or green- there is infection. The ear will smell rather overly sweet, or musky or even putrid. None of that is good. *G* We don't want to worsen the problem with overly strong cleaners- and it is painful for the dog. Mites, fungus, flea allergy, other causes- are treated differently. That's why the doc has to see those ears.

Ear infections left untreated may cause secondary infections. So first: doc exam and perhaps tests, then the course of meds- ususally depending on infection's cause and its severity- treatment is shot of antibiotics to kick start the immune system, a three-week course of ear drops (vet scripted only!) and the drops are placed in the dog's ears- twice to three times daily. (As big poodle person mentions re method) Then- when the infection appears to be gone and ears are clear and pink but not too pink *G* - keep right on cleaning those ears weekly or as doc orders.

Canine ear infections often malinger and just lie in wait to have yet another party on their suffering host, your dog. *G* Tresaderm is a good general ear med docs may script, BUT that depends on the cause of the ear problem. We can't tell you that. Only the doc with a hands-on exam.

BTW-I've never ever heard of putting water in any Poodle's ear to clean it. Very iffy. Asking for trouble, imho. We want dry ear canals. It could be that your pup is developing allergies and all allergies are expressed thru skin - sometimes ears . At four months allergy onset is not all that uncommon. Or- It could be mites, or perhaps the debris caused by lack of attention to grooming care. Can't say for certain.

Can say this for certain- Do yourself and your dog a favor- and have those puppy ears check by the doc. - Safer and you'll save money in the long run- when compared to having a Poodle with chronic problems- allowed to develop and fester. OK!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:27 AM   #12
yoyo2004

Hi,everyone, I took my puppy to see the vet yesterday. The vet examed Yoyo's ears and confirmed there was no mites. He took the sample to check and said it was a germ called yeast germ. He gave me the medicine that the name is DERMOTIC. I used it for two days it did well for yoyo's ears.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #13
lp

Default doc's orders

the med is often/usually given for a couple of weeks to three weeks, not usually just two days. It might be that the doc meant the med would or should clear up the initial infection in merely a couple of days. Be sure you've understood the vet's orders about how long to use the d drops. BTW- The dose varies from two to three drops- either twice to three times daily. - Usually.

Often the doc's directions are to continue use - beyond the infection's departure- ie - for couple of weeks. The particular ear med is not scripted for the treatment of mites, but rather is used for various bacterial and yeast infections in the ear and skin. - This info is "in general"- re dose and re length of treatment - and merely according to my most meger knowledge. Not a vet or a tech. So-

Follow your vet's orders and be certain to use med for the time doc scripted - whatever that is. And do ask about safe ear cleaner as preventative -after infection is gone- to prevent the infection from returning to your Poodle's ears. Keep the ears clean, dry and free of hair in the canal.

Be certain you follow your doc's orders for your particular dog. After the infection is gone, continue to clean your dogs ears. Ask the doc about a safe cleanser to use as a preventative
Old 03-26-2004, 07:03 AM   #14
JMM
Super Moderator

From the vet tech: 2 days does not sound right. Most infections are treated for 2 weeks.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #15
lp

Default jmm- re med

Yep. & We might be having our pinas tugged jest a tad.. LMBO
Never heard of a two-day ear drop script. Ah well.

My above mess. sounds redundant as computer crashed amid vital post. (Computer problems.- How unusual. *G*)

From what I know of d med, usually it's scriptola for two to three weeks, 2 to 5 drops- twice or even thrice -daily. What? *G*

Let's see if this valuable um ear- full shall post. Weee.

Dermotic med dogma:

"Active ingredients:
23mg/ml Miconazole nitrate (equiv to 20mg/ml Miconazole)
5mg/ml Prednisolone acetate (eqiiv to 4.1mg/ml Prednisolone)
0.695 mg/ml Polymyxin B Sulphate (equiv to 0.648 mg/ml Polymyxin B).

Directions for use:
SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE
Otitis Externa: Instil 3-5 drops into the ear twice daily. Gently massage the ear to ensure even distribution of the product.
Skin infections: apply to the affected area and rub in. After the clinical signs have completely disappeared, continue treatment without interruption for several days. In certain obstinate cases, it may be necessary to continue the treatment for 2-3 weeks. At the beginning of the treatment cut the hair surrounding or covering lesions.

Note:
Dermotic Ear and Skin Suspension is not active against ear mites."
~~